Saturday, May 06, 2006

Spring cleaning my HD

Today, I woke up at 5:30 AM and decided to do a little "spring cleaning" inside my computer. I started to sort through an old archive drive that I had installed in one of my servers. While looking through it, I cam across an old HTLM folder that had some of my very first attempts at site building. It brought back fond memories... Not so much because of the site content or the great looking code I wrote - but for another reason. I had found the web page that shut down my web hosting server!

One day, I was goofing around and made up a very simple page with chickens dancing on it. I uploaded it to my server and sent it to a few friends. We ll had a good laugh. Then a few weeks later I received a phone call from my hosting company and my techie asked me what I was doing with my sites. I asked him what he meant and he told me I was over my bandwidth limit just three days into my billing cycle. ( I had 4 gigs a month back then)

I took a look at my server logs and saw that my "chicken page" was getting about 45 hits a second! So many that I could not even scroll to the bottom of the log file! This thing had gotten passed around the net and by now so many people were seeing it, it actually shut down my server!

So I pulled the plug on the chickens and slowly things got back to normal. Then I started to receive the hate mail! Where did it go? put it back up! and so on... Gez!

Anyway, I put the site back and it went on for awhile and slowly faded away. It was an interesting experience to say the least. We spend so much time and money getting our sites to register hits and something like this takes off and brings in thousands of hits and hour. It doesn't seem to make sense!

I dusted off the original chicken page and made a few changes so it will fit in with modern browsers and loaded it back up on the server. Who knows, maybe it will go crazy again - but I doubt it since there are many more just like it out there now. It's funny what the internet can do at times. Now I have that stupid song stuck in my head!

So here it is... My revised version of the Chicken Dance Page - Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home